Tisha b'Av is the Jewish fast commemorating the destruction of the First and Second Temples. The fast is 24 hours long and allows the Jews to mourn the destruction without thinking of mundane activities such as eating and drinking.
Here are some tips to help make this fast easier on you:
- Lower your caffeine intake 2-3 days prior to the fast. This will prevent caffeine-based headaches.
- The day of the fast (which begins at nightfall), do not over-eat. Large meals do not make the fast easier.
- You should try to have 3-4 small meals the day of the fast.
- Do not have spicy or salty food in the day leading up to the fast.
- Make sure to indulge in complex carbohydrates - brown rice, whole wheat flour, sweet potatoes
- Avoid alcohol
- Include a protein (limited amount) in each of the meals
- Break the fast slowly - at first, have a glass of a sugary drink with fruit or pretzels. Your first meal should be light (similar to a breakfast meal).