Hadassah University Hospital is under the auspices of The Hadassah's Women Zionist Organization of America. Hadassah is the largest Jewish organization and largest women's organization in the world. It was established in 1912 in New York by a group of women, headed by Henrietta Szold. The organization decided to direct their efforts to promoting the medical field in Israel.
In 1913, two nurses arrived in Israel, followed by a full medical team. Hadassah founded 'tipat chalav' babycare clinics as well as a number of other clinics. Two medical schools were also established. The organization grew, and continued to promote their values - equal treatment to all patients, regardless of race, religion or gender - a value the hospital continues to promote today. Most of the medical clinics belong to the Israeli government today and Hadassah Women's Organization continue to be active around the world.
Hadassah has sent many volunteers, medications and equipment to the hospital over the years. In 1918, the organization sent a medical delegation of 45 doctors, nurses, and maintence personnel who helped established the hospitals in Safed, Tiberias and Jaffa. They also refurbished the Rothschild Hospital in Jerusalem. In 1920, Henrietta Szold came to Israel to assist the group and stayed until her death in 1945. Bertha Landsman, a nurse, established the first 'tipat chalav' clinic for babies.