Constipation can cause a person discomfort. To avoid it, there are a number of foods and activities a person can do:
- It’s important to drink at least 8 – 10 cups a day: water, herbal teas, soups, fruit juices, and decaffeinated drinks. Prune juice is very effective in preventing constipation.
- Eating set meals is also important for maintaining properly functioning bowels.
- Dietary fibers help with the bowels as well. Dietary fibers are found in fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain breads, crackers, brown rice, spelt, oats, bran flakes, granola, corn and legumes.
- Fiber can be added as a supplement to yogurt, milk, soups etc.
- Honey and olive oil also help relieve constipation
- Avoid foods that cause constipation such as bananas, white rice, and pomegranates.
- Avoid holding in bowel movements.
- Avoid using laxatives for an extended period of time.
- Walking and other exercise can help stimulate the bowels.