Mupirocin

*** PLEASE NOTE***
The information and instructions on the following pages should not replace those given to you by your doctor.


Mupirocin is an antibiotic cream used for local infections caused by bacteria. It is also used to treat secondary bacterial infections of cuts and sores.

Do not use when

  • Your child has a known allergy to one of the ingredients
  • For a prolonged period of time

Consult your doctor when

  • Your child is taking other medication
  • Your child has known allergies to food and/or drugs
  • Your child has suffered or is suffering from kidney dysfunction
  • You are pregnant or nursing

Storing the Medication
Keep the medication in a cool, dark place (do not freeze) and out of reach of children. Do not use past the expiration date.

Administering the Medication
Administer the medication as instructed by your physician. Rub a small amount of cream into the skin of the infected area after it was cleaned. You can administer the cream up to three times a day for 10 days. If there is no improvement within 3-5 days, see your, consult your doctor.

Wash your hands after treatment. Avoid contact with eyes. If there is no improvement after week, please consult your physician. Do not swallow – for external use only.

What should I do if I forget to put on the cream on time?
Put it on as soon as you remember. If the next dose is soon – skip the forgotten dose. Do not give two doses at once.

When can I end treatment?
Finish the round as instructed by your physician. Do not end treatment early without consulting your doctor.

Side Effects
There are possible side effects which include redness or rashes, slight discomfort, or a burning sensation. These go away on their own, but if they get worse – stop treatment and see your doctor. In some cases children may experience headaches, nausea, vomiting, rashes, stomach aches, dizziness, and/or mouth sores.

Call your doctor when

  • Your child's condition worsens
  • Your child has an allergic reaction
  • Do not use on open wounds, burns or large areas. Avoid contact with eyes