Enalapril

*** PLEASE NOTE***
The information and instructions on the following pages should not replace those given to you by your doctor.


Enalapril is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor that expands the blood vessels. It is used to lower blood pressure and treat heart failure.

Do not use when

  • Your child has a known allergy to one of the ingredients
  • Your child has suffered from an edema in the face or neck (angioedema), as a result from taking an ACE inhibitor.
  • You are pregnant or nursing

Consult your doctor when

  • Your child suffers or suffered in the past from problems in the heart or related blood vessels, kidney, liver, or urinary tract dysfunction, hyperkalemia, and/or diabetes
  • Your child is taking other medications and/or has any known allergies

Storing the Medication
Medication should be kept in a cool, dry place, out of reach of children. Do not use past the expiration date.

Administering the Medication
Administer the medication at the times instructed by your physician. Do not chew.

What should I do if I forgot to administer the medication on time?
Give the medication as soon as you remember. If the next dose is soon, skip the forgotten dose. Do not give two doses at once.

When can I stop treatment?
Finish the round as instructed by your doctor. Even if your child's condition improves, do not stop treatment without consulting your doctor.

Side effects
Side effects include constipation, blurred vision, nausea, coughing, and/or headaches.

Call your doctor when

  • Your child is losing fluids due to excessive sweating, vomiting or diarrhea
  • Your child is stung by a bee during treatment
  • Your child's condition worsens
  • Your child has an allergic reaction to the treatment
  • Your child experiences side effects such as rashes, jaundice, swelling in the hands or feet, low blood pressure, lightheadedness, dizziness, symptoms of toxic shock (2-3 days of drowsiness or weakness followed by fever, throat aches, chest pains, difficulty swallowing, irregular heartbeat, and shortness of breath)

The medication contains lactose and can cause an allergic reaction among children who are lactose intolerant. Throughout treatment, your child will need to be monitored with blood tests and/or kidney and liver tests. If your child is undergoing any surgery during treatment, please let the anesthesiologist know about the medication he is taking.